- Excessive moisture
- Excessive sunlight
- Excessive debris
- Moss & Fungal growth
Cedar roofs in particular can become water logged from
not being able to properly dry. This in return can act
as a host for insect infestation or the introduction
once a roof has been cleaned periodic treatment will
keep you from having to re-clean the roof every few
Often, a small remnant of moss will be left behind
(you want to avoid being too aggressive in trying to
initially eliminate all moss) and treatment is critical
to finish the job right. Plus, treatments will act as
a moss preventative and roof preservative moving forward.
Look for treatments that are environmentally friendly
and that do not corrode your gutter system if at all
Avoid more abrasive methods of roof cleaning such as
power washing. There are still occasions when there
is no other option to address the problem. In such situations,
make sure the job will be done using the proper equipment
that delivers lower water pressure and higher water
Then without those natural barriers:
- Roofs can't repel water as well
- The roof is much more susceptible to rot
- Curling, cupping, splitting and rotting of the shakes
- Moss & debris holds moisture and invite insect
- Insect infestations invite larger critter, like
To avoid the early demise:
- Remove moss & fungus which act like a sponge
to hold water on shingles and shakes.
- Do so without harming the environment or risking
your pets or your children with toxic chemicals.
- Restore lost natural preservatives so that your
roof will again effectively repel water
- Prevent new growth by changing the pH level of the
- and once again look stupendous.
Aside from the cosmetic benefits of a well maintained
roof it's very important to note that cleaning, repairing
and treating your roof can double and sometimes triple
its service life.
A clean, healthy roof will add market value to your
home because, generally speaking, 50% of the exterior
view of your home consists of your roof.